Starting in 2013, the SMA has advanced scholarship in sport marketing by providing the SMA Research Grant to its members as they pursue studies of importance to the field. The purpose of the SMA Research Grant is to support collaborative research endeavors that expand the body of sport marketing knowledge via development of beneficial relationships between industry leaders and academics. Click here for a list of previous recipients.
- Individuals submitting a proposal must be a SMA member in good standing.
- The Principal Investigator (PI) must be affiliated with an academic institution.
- The research project must represent a collaboration with an industry partner.
- SMA has allocated a total of $3,000 for up to three (3) research grants annually.
- Grant recipient(s) receive free conference registration to present results upon study completion.
- Separate cover sheet with proposal title and names/affiliations of the PI and any CoIs.
- Study elements (not to exceed 3000 words): purpose of the proposed research; details of collaboration with industry; literature review (conceptual/theoretical foundation); proposed method and research timeline; potential scholarly and managerial implications of findings. Include the proposal title in this section, but do not include self-identifying information.
- List of references.
- Copy of IRB approval. IRB approval must not expire to the end of funded project.
- Proposals must adhere to current APA guidelines.
- Embodiment of SMA mission.
- Articulation of proposal elements .
- Originality of research.
- Feasibility of research.
- Potential contribution to the academy.
- Potential contribution to industry.
- Strong consideration will be given for young scholars (i.e., PhD students, untenured faculty).
- SMA Past-President; Award Committee Members (2): SMA Executive Board Members (2)
- Submission of report to Awards Committee within 60 days of project completion.
- Presentation of findings at the 2017 or 2018 SMA Annual Conference.
- Include the following statement in all written documents including publications and presentation materials: “This work was supported by funds received from the Sport Marketing Association Research Award."
- Present a summary of findings for SMA’s use in promoting the award and its recipients.
- All awards are made payable to the Principal Investigator.
- Recipients are required to retain their membership to SMA for at least one (1) year post-award.
- Principal Investigator(s) must assume responsibility for the proposal, execution of the research plan, and presenting the results.
- Award will be presented at the SMA Annual Conference during the year of proposal submission, at which at least one investigator must be present to receive the award.
Submission Deadline and Process
- Submissions must be emailed as a PDF directly to Dr. Nels Popp, at email@example.com, by no later than June 15, 2016.
- Incomplete proposals or those received after the deadline will not be evaluated.